Wednesday, September 29, 2010

34 weeks and Travis in Minneapolis!

Well, I decided to write this post 1 day before we are 34 weeks, but I don't want to get started on my reading/lesson planning for tomorrow just yet... 

Travis was in Minneapolis last weekend and he was apart of Ian and Emilie Knox' wedding - he looked great!  Emilie and Ian also looked fantastic in every picture!
I was bummed to have to stay home, but Travis was able to stay with Mitch and Mike and hang out with a lot of his friends at night and he had a great time. 

Until he got back on Sunday and had the flu - he even ended up taking a sick day, something he never ever does, so I knew he definitely was sick.  And my evening class was cancelled on Monday night, so we got to watch a movie together that night.  Travis slept all day Sunday and most of Monday, so it was nice to at least watch the movie together.  Then of course, I ended up getting sick yesterday as well, but I rested all afternoon with my feet up and was starting to feel better.  I made it all the way until 6:15 pm at school, I had to leave my class early after I threw up during class :(  And I was having a lot of lower back cramping and sharp abdominal pains, so the doctor told me to go home and rest, but I rested at school.  I only needed to go in if the cramping/contracting was coming at regular intervals, which it was not. 

So, on to the baby update - I've been having more cramping/pain on and off lately, intermittently, but nothing regular.  I am drinking lots of water and trying to sleep through the night but it is definitely getting harder, I roll around a lot.  I need to get a new picture up, but I'll wait a little bit on that.  My total weight gain is at 22.5 lbs right now, I'm doing well in that department and trying not to stress/focus on that at all. 

At 34 weeks, the baby now weighs about 4 3/4 pounds (like your average cantaloupe) and is almost 18 inches long. His fat layers — which will help regulate body temperature once he's born — are filling her out, making him rounder. His skin is also smoother than ever. His central nervous system is maturing and his lungs are continuing to mature as well. If you've been nervous about preterm labor, you'll be happy to know that babies born between 34 and 37 weeks who have no other health problems generally do fine. They may need a short stay in the neonatal nursery and may have a few short-term health issues, but in the long run, they usually do as well as full-term babies.  So that's good to know - also, by 35 weeks, their lungs are usually fully developed.  I'm pretty sure the baby is going to stay in there for a while longer, but I have to admit, we packed our bag on Monday (with baby outfits, breast cream, pjs/gown for me, a couple of diapers and other necessities), just to be safe.  In only 2 more weeks, we'll be just where our friends John and Rebekah were and baby Zane came 4 weeks early, so you can never be too prepared/safe.

I took a couple of pictures of the baby's bassinet, which is the removable top part in our pack and play.  This is where baby will sleep for a little while (1st one canopy is down, 2nd one canopy is up):


Right now we are planning on my mom coming down after about a week and then hopefully Trav's family will be able to be here right after that if the timing works out.  Then my parents would come down the following week.  But babies come when they come, so the only thing set in stone right now is that the Riley's are coming down here November 19th and Travis' race is on November 21st. 


The girls I work with are throwing me a baby shower this Saturday, so I am very excited for that - it will be nice just to see everyone all at once, since we all have different teaching/class schedules!  We're having a brunch potluck and I love breakfast food!  Lots of fun stuff!  Hope everyone has a good rest of the week and weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment