Saturday, May 29, 2010

Peru part 1

Hola a todos from Peru!  It has been a super fun 2 weeks.  I'll start out with my current pregnancy pic, 16 weeks plus a couple of days:
So, there is a baby growing away in there!  I also am pretty sure I felt it move the last few days, not a lot, but just a little.  They say the thinner you are the sooner you will feel the baby move and even today when I was laying down, Patsy came over and we both some my stomach moving once in a while, so who knows!  And yes, I'm in front of a clothes line here, we wash and dry our own clothes, even though it is super cold here at night, it is still relatively dry!!
Anyway, Peru is beyond amazing!!  Here are some pics of Machu Picchu, it was built by the Incans in the 1400s, but no one really knows what the purpose was.  Hiram Bingham discovered it in 1911 and sent off the pottery and other crafts to Yale University, where they are still held today.  However, you can see that there were temples and houses.  Theories say it was either a fortress (but they didn't really need protection) or a sacred domain, but no one is sure.  The Spaniards never found it, so today it still remains and as such, there are no cathedrals or religious crosses in sight!  If you're ever interested in reading about the Incans, there's a lot of information and it is fascinating!!!!!


Here is a picture of my esteemed travel companion, Patsy Hansel.  This is right when we entered Machu Picchu.  2 whole weeks together and not even one fight, lol!   
And one last picture of me by the fountain in Ollaytaytambo, part of the Valle Sagrado, the Sacred Valley of the Incas.

All in all, things have been great.  We have another week of classes next week, 2 hours of practice, where we walk around and speak in Spanish the whole time, learning about Cusco and everything else and 2 hours of grammar, which Patsy and I finished in 2 days... our grammar teacher is supposed to have prepared some stories or plays for us to read instead.  We just weren't getting anything out of the grammar books. 
Sorry it's been so long since I updated, I didn't want to post anything without pics.  Please keep the baby, me and Patsy in your thoughts and prayers.  In 2 weeks, I'll be on a plane back to sunny AZ!

No comments:

Post a Comment