Thursday, May 13, 2010

Off to Perú & 14 weeks along!

Well, this will be my last post from los estados unidos for a month! I leave for Perú Saturday morning and I am very excited and very anxious! Here's a pic of me at 14 weeks - I am wearing the maternity shirt that my mom bought me (among several others) from Ross. Yes, Ross has a maternity section and they have some pretty cute and very reasonably priced stuff. I love this shirt!

And above is my side profile.  This shirt is "flowy" (that would be "floja" in Spanish), so if I am sitting or from a distance I don't think I look too pregnant, but there is a belly growing under there! 

I had a lovely dinner with Ryan, Dr. Garcia and Alvaro, (who also has a doctorate and is a professor, but I've only ever heard him called Alvaro,) at Contigo Perú, which is a really great Peruvian restaurant in Mesa.  I even ate some steak meat and rice and we had some awesome ice cream - helado de lucoma, I don't think I spelled that fruit right, but it was amazing and Patsy and I will definitely be ordering it in Cusco!!  And for those of you that don't know, that Disney movie, The Emperor's New Groove was in Cusco and that's where we will be studying and living in Perú!! 

Travis is doing well, he has his first olympic triathlon this weekend on Sunday, the 16th.  It's the Tempe International triathlon.  He'll do great, though, he's been training like crazy!  We are definitely going to miss each other and it's hard because I don't even have an address to give him yet, but I will be emailing with contact information shortly after I arrive.  But it's a great opportunity and I am really thankful to be able to go and to have a husband that is encouraging me to go.  Although I only wanted to go for 3 weeks, Trav pushed me to go for 4.  I always bring that up whenever he says he'll miss me, LOL  :) 

The altitude is supposed to be crazy high, which it is.  The altitude is 11,203 ft. (3395 m) above sea level. The annual average temperature is 52ºF/11ºC.  So I have to take it really easy the first 24 - 48 hours b/c there is a lot of altitude sickness and it's higher than the highest city in the U.S., Leadville, Colorado which is around 10,500 ft.  CRAZY!!  And only bottled water for me! 

Otherwise, please keep me and the baby in your prayers and thoughts!!  I am praying for a healthy and safe and educational trip!!  Luckily I am going down with Patsy Hansel, a gal from the ASU program, so I am VERY thankful for her!!  Also, pray that Travis remembers how to unload the dishwasher, just kidding...  but that he does well with training and that he does okay down here by himself! 

I'll keep you all posted from Cusco I hope!   Have a great weekend!!


No comments:

Post a Comment