Friday, June 11, 2010

¡Chao Perú!

Well, it´s been fun here in Perú, but the time has come to say chao or adiós... depending on when/if I ever return with Travis and the babe of course!  I will definitely update more when I get back, it´s been hard to upload photos on some of these computers.  But here are some pics of Tipón, which was almost more gorgeous than Machu Picchu bc of the water!
There was water everywhere, the Incas built tons of little canals that ran through this whole civilation (now obviously ruins), but it was gorgeous, this is the picture of one of the main fountains they had. 

Patsy and I definitely saw a lot and had a great time in Perú.  We had the same grammar teacher (Maritsa) and it was just a little sad bc she really did not know much more grammar above us, so the school we went to here, Fairplay, really isn´t equipped to handle advanced students.  However, I think we were the first two Spanish instructors they had ever had.  The director of the school, John, should have told us that they were not equipped or prepared to handle advanced students and we could have gone to a different school.  My practica teacher, Rocio, was absolutely 100% amazing though.  I really enjoyed walking through Cusco 2 hours and practicing my speaking with her, it was very cool.  She used to work in tourism, so she knew a lot about the places, she knew a ton of the Inca history and just was overall a great, wonderful and warm person.  And I definitely think my speaking did improve, I learned some new vocabulary words and definitely experienced a different and unique culture.  I even was mistaken for a Spaniard a couple of times, not bc I speak with a Spanish accent, but bc of my skin color and my Spanish speaking ability.  When I said, no, estadounidense, the native speaker definitely said, but you speak so well and I wanted to say U.S. people can speak Spanish really well too, but I just said gracias and then said I had studied in Spain though.  Our host family was also great and very helpful in terms of vocabulary and asking linguistics questions. 

The diet down here is absolutely healthy, we ate lots of quinoa, lots of vegetables and everything was organic, locally grown.   Hopefully I will keep eating as well when I get home, but Travis and I have always eaten pretty healthily, so I´m not too worried.

I also bought a lot of gifts for people.  They handmake everything here and it´s gorgeous and super unique, so I hope people do like it.  I even bought the four little kids from Travis´ cousins and one aunt and uncle some really cute gifts that I am going to put away until Christmas!  And I couldn´t help it, I loved wandering around the markets and I think Patsy did too.

Patsy and I had a night out once too and I have a pretty cute picture of me all ¨dressed up¨ with my growing tummy, but I couldn´t get it uploaded, so I will post it later.  I´m still looking pretty thin though, since a lot of people still look at me and say, oh, you are?  But maybe they don´t want to be rude down here, it does look like a little ball though, so I´m wondering if people just think I have an odd body shape. 

Next trip around, Travis will definitely be coming with me.  I miss him like crazy and this is supposed to be the ¨honeymoon¨ trimester, right?  So it´s time for me to get back home!  Hope everyone had a great week!  USA arrival on Sunday morning!!

No comments:

Post a Comment