Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Bonding with baby and lots of family time!

Here's a video of Tristan trying to imitate my lips and noises... SOOOOOOO cute!!!!!  I'll get one up of him talking soon!  Yes, it's a little shaky, but you can hear him.  Good thing I'm not a videographer!


Tristan imitating part 1 from Holly Riley on Vimeo.

Well, it's official.  Travis and I are in love... with our little baby Tristan.  As each day passes, we grow to love him more and more and more and it just blows me away.  I was talking to a couple of my friends who lovingly told me that I was a little hormone-crazed for a few weeks following the birth of Tristan.  It's harder for me to leave Tristan now than it was when he was 5 days old or even 4 weeks old!  I felt relieved to get away from the house and away from Tristan for a little while and it was a welcome break in my day, but now... well, I actually missed Tristan and Travis during our normal family time last night when I was in class.  And it was crazy.  And I've found myself talking about him more when people ask.  And I've found myself thinking about him sometimes during the day.  And I've found myself staring at him thinking that he won't be this small forever.  And I've found myself thanking God for giving us Tristan (instead of just praying for patience and peace 24/7 to get through the newborn weeks).  So for those people that swear that the bond is instantaneous when the baby is born, I think it is only for some people.  I mean, of course we both loved Tristan, but I didn't feel super connected to him and I definitely didn't think I was the only one who could take care of him.  But now that I'm around him all day every day and the fact that we know him and his little habits and his patterns, who better than to take care of him than Travis or myself?  Lol.

My parents were down here for 10 days and they were a lot of help and they were great with Tristan.  They watched him so I could go the gym and Travis and I even got to go out and see a movie.  The Reese Witherspoon, Owen Wilson one, "How do you know" or whatever - the one with the weird ending... boo for that.    It's always tough when you first start having kids I've decided with all my years of experience... but what you hear/say/read is true: EVERYone offers you advice and it does get a little old, even from your family members.  It's one of those things where you appreciate the help, but then again you try not to get upset when you do things a certain way and your family "does them better".  Or they try to tell you how to do something and you want to politely remind them that they got to make mistakes with their babies/kids and you'd like to make some mistakes as well.  Well, or how about all those times when you know what's wrong with your baby, but you watch everyone else try to calm him down just because you want to prove to them that they really don't know what's going to calm him and then you silently giggle to yourself and smile, go and pick up your baby and help him to calm down.  LOL - well, I said it, but I know for a fact that all new moms feel that way.  Yes, the woman versus woman competitive nature carries on forever, friend vs. friend, mother vs. daughter, sister vs. sister, aunt vs. daughter, aunt vs. niece, cousin vs. cousin... but such is life.  You just have to take lots of deep breaths and say a LOT of prayers to help you get through certain situations... or call someone and have them talk you into a better mood.  Well, that's partially my defensive tendencies around my family members and feeling like I always have to be perfect 24/7, but hey, old habits are hard to break.   We had a really great time and it was great to see my parents and they really enjoyed Tristan. 

The transition of going back to school for classes and teaching online classes (which incidentally, although very convenient, are very time consuming) is pretty overwhelming.  I know I seem to be more hormonal than ever after having a baby, but I literally almost burst into tears the other day thinking of how I was going to make all of this workout okay.  But I am trying to take one day at a time.  And we have an awesome baby-sitter, Amy Foster, that comes over on Mon/Tues from 4 - 6 pm to watch Tristan.  She's great with him and he seems to really like her too, so it's just great to have someone great that we can rely on. 

I hope everyone has a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment